Zemax-Lumerical Webinar Video - from nano-scale to macro-scale optics and back

Part I - June 21, 2017

In this webinar, we demonstrate Zemax-Lumerical interoperability to exchange data between Zemax’s OpticStudio ray tracing and physical optics software and Lumerical’s electromagnetic field solvers. We show various workflows for several practical applications, including OLED and LED display, lens-to-fiber coupling, and diffractive/metalens design.

Go to the page with the video

Part II - June 28, 2017

In this webinar, we will examine how a combination of Lumerical’s FDTD Solutions and Zemax’s OpticStudio can be used to design ultra-thin optical components (metasurfaces), which are essential for development of high performance wearable optical devices/systems such as virtual and augmented reality. For this application, it is critical to use a combination of electromagnetic field solvers to accurately determine the phase and field profile of the metalens and ray tracing to optimize the desired lens properties. Our guest speaker is Dr. Reza Khorasaninejad from Harvard University, one of the leading researchers using planar metalenses for applications in the visible range.

Go to the page with the video

I am very interested in simulating structures similar to the diffractive optic demonstrated in part II of the webinar. Are the .lsf and script files for this example available anywhere on Lumerical’s website?

In particular, I was wondering if there were any special tricks that allowed such a larger 3D simulation to be performed, which was ultimately used to export a .ZBF file directly to Zemax. I have attempted similar 3D simulations, but usually run out of memory after attempting to simulate a lens of only ~ 15 um diameter. (The simulation shown in the webinar had a diameter of 400 um, and took only an hour to mesh and an hour to run!)

Thanks.

Dear @abacke

Thank you for your interest in Lumerical-Zemax interoperability.

I have attached all the files used in the webinar for the lens example.

Lens_Zemax_Webinar.rar (440.3 KB)

Here is a brief summary of all the files:

duty_cycle_sweep.fsp and duty_cycle_sweep.lsf: This is used to extract the duty cycle vs phase plot. Duty cycle is a function of geometry.

mask_design.lsf: This defines the phase profile of the lens that we want to construct.

construct_lens.lsf: Using the duty cycle results and mask design, it is used to design the lens. Script picks the proper duty cycle along the lens (x-axis) to find the thickness and gap for each grating/rectangular.

2D_lens.fsp: Is used for initial simulations. 2D simulations are very fast compared to 3D, and can provide useful intuitions and approximate results.

3D_lens.fsp: Is used for final simulations.

Regarding the 3D lens simulations, we are using symmetry to reduce the mesh and thus simulation time by 4. It will be a good practice for you to run this simulation on your machine and compare the mesh and simulation time with what was reported in the webinar.

Please let me know if you had any concerns.

Thanks

Hello bkhanaliloo,
Can you help to check “duty_cycle_sweep.fsp and duty_cycle_sweep.lsf” files? they are not working properly as no “s_params” defined in duty_cycle_sweep.fsp.
I also have another question is how to customize the 3D lens to work at the focal length of 30 um? is it correct that I just modified f=0.03 to f=30e-6 in the mask_design.lsf
Thank you for your response.
Best,
Shawn,

I do not have the time to watch the video, but the files in rar seem mixed up, the script file “duty_cycle_sweep.fsp and duty_cycle_sweep.lsf” does not match “duty_cycle_sweep.fsp and duty_cycle_sweep.fsp” . I modified them, and the new files are uploaded in the previous post. Please have a test to see if you have any questions.

Dear gsun:
Where can I download your modified files? I am anxious to know how FDTD works in conjunction with Zemax. Thank you!

Hi @162390281

Please see the third post on this thread, Lens_Zemax_Webinar.rar.