Transmission Higher than One

fdtd

Hi,

After I finished the simulation for a ring of a quarter circle, I found that the transmission power is larger than one. This cannot be correct due to the losses that are caused because of the bending of the waveguide. Why does this occur and how can I correct this result?

Hi @g15081147

I did a couple of modifications into your simulation file:

1. Used a 32 layer of standard profile for PML rather than custom PML. This seemed to be the most important factor.

2. Increased the FDTD, source, and monitor span specially in the z-direction. This is to make sure that field is decaying around 5 orders of magnitude or more before reaching PML.

3. Used multifrequency mode calculation for the mode source.

Below is the results with the modified simulation file:

testing_ring.fsp (333.2 KB)

Hope this addresses your inquiry.

The simulation works correctly now, but I did not understand either the reasons for increasing the number of layers nor using multifrequency mode source or when we choose to change these parameters?

Hi @g15081147

When you expect a reflection from PML, you need to change the PML settings or number of PML layers as part of convergence testing.
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?layout_analysis_test_convergence_fdtd.html

Once a light reaches into PML layer, it has to be completely absorbed:
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?ref_sim_obj_pml_boundary_conditions.html

And here is a good link that explains why you need to use multifrequency beam calculations for broadband simulations:
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?ref_sim_obj_mode_source_-_broadband.html

Thanks for sharing the links. They are helpful to understand some of the physics of the simulator. Nevertheless, I still have some problems when simulating simple structure like a straight waveguide. I tried to change the parameters as you did in with the ring, but still I get transmission power higher than one.

I have other questions as well. Is it advisable to use the multifrequency option with any structure? For example, when I tried to simulate a directional coupler without using the multifrequency option, the results were more reasonable.
Here you can see the transmission power from FDTD simulation without using the multifrequency option

While the transmission power from FDTD simulation using the multifrequency=1

As you can see from the second image, the value of transmission power decreases at higher wavelengths which is not reasonable. Why does this happen?

Hi @g15081147

Can you please share the public link of your files with us? Currently it is not public and it requires permission.

As is explained in our documentation, multifrequency option has to be enabled when the field profile changes significantly with wavelength. If the profile does not change, both simulations should return identical results. Simulations with multifrequency beam enabled are more trustworthy if the simulation is setup properly.