Supercontinuum generation in optical fibers

Hi
Can we use Lumerical software to simulate pulse propagation in optical fibers (Superconitnuum generation as an example).
THX

A comprehensive list of applications for Lumerical software can be found here:

https://kb.lumerical.com/en/applications.html

Hi,

You can certainly use Lumerical’s MODE Solutions for studying the modes in the fiber; for example: https://www.osapublishing.org/ol/abstract.cfm?uri=ol-41-9-2117 .

Simulating the actual propagation in the fiber can be challenging because you would need to use FDTD Solutions in combination with the material plugin framework to include the nonlinear effects. If I am not wrong, in most cases you need a very long fiber, which is probably too hard to simulate in FDTD. For long devices (such as long fibers) EME (in MODE Solutions) is more suitable but there you can’t use the material plugin to simulate nonlinear effects.

Thank you for your reply
to simulate supercontinuum generation (pulses propagation and broadening in optical fibers) we solve the NLSE equation for a small piece of the fiber-few centimeters-. once the fiber mode properties is obtained (by MODE solution for example) we insert the fiber parameters (dispersion and nonlinearity) into the NLSE equation and then solve it. i don’t know if we can do that with one of lumerical software solvers.
here the link of one of the best papers in the field

again thank you for your interest to my inquiry

Hi @medjouri-abdelkader,

Our solvers do not include any option to solve the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation, so it would not be possible to use them in that part of the analysis. I guess in principle you could look at the problem using the Maxwell equations (which are solved in FDTD) with some nonlinear term in the material properties, but I think the limitation there could be the length of the fiber. In the paper you referenced, they also mention some other issues when using the Maxwell equations, so I am not sure this approach would be any better compared to the one you are using at the moment.

Ok
thank you for the clarification and for your time