Stop others from taking the FDTD engine license

script

Hi all,
Is there a way to lock the FDTD engine license while the FDTD designer is open such that no other user will take it while I am working?
Because as you know, there’s a script that allows other users on a server to run their simulation files without opening the designer GUI?

That’s a good question. Unfortunately, I don’t have a great solution to offer. The designer (CAD) and engine are licensed independently. In many situations, this behavior is desirable exactly because it allows one person to use the CAD while another persons simulation is running. However, it’s definitely possible to experience licensing conflicts when too many people are trying to use the licenses at the same time.

It is possible to permanently reserve licenses for particular users with the license manager options file, but that’s not quite what you need. I don’t think there is any way to configure FDTD Solutions or the License Manager so that when someone checks out a CAD license, they also automatically checkout the Engine license. The best solution I can offer is that you can open the License Manager dashboard to identify the other people using the license so you can talk to them.

Another possible (but quite complex) solution is to setup a job scheduling system (eg PBS). Scheduling programs are intended to manage exactly these types of problems, but they would introduce a lot of complexity into your workflow. I don’t think it’s a very good option unless you have a large number of users, are running a lot of jobs and are experiencing a lot of problems with running out of licenses. Scheduling systems are commonly used on large computing clusters, but not in an office environment.