- Divide structure into M layers.
- Divide the surface of each layer into N segments (facets).
- Number each points 1,2,3,……
- Record the x, y, z coordinate of each points.
- Define the faces by grouping the corner points
** for example, for the highlighted facet has 4 corners and can be defined as [N+1, N+2, 2N+2, 2N+1]
- Note the top surface is made up by triangles so each facet has 3 corner points
- Note there will be a bottom surface as well similar to the top surface not seen in the figure.
- Once you know how to find all the points and all the facets, check out this KB page (https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?ref_sim_obj_planar_solid_-_scripting_examp.html) to see how you can create a planar solid.
- My recommendation would be to use method 1 in the script example.
Geometry building issue in simulation with planar solids
Partial ring with rounded edges
How to draw a 3D structure which is semicircular and cross section is triangle
Modeling optothermal forces
This is an excellent illustration on how to create such irregular objects. If users want to have a smoother shape, like a real vase, many thinner layers and large N are recommended. However, to test your script, you can use fewer.