SOA Model Using a TWLM element

I would like to use the TWLM element in INTERCONNECT to simulate a Semiconductor Optical Amplifier. Ideally, I would like to be able to simulate the attached circuit. However, I’m not sure how to use the TWLM as an SOA. I know it can be done as I’ve seen other support posts where it has been answered that it is possible, but are there any examples I can look at to see how it is done? Thank you.soa_model

Hello @laruege,

Thank you for the question. Basically, using the TWLM element for an SOA is the same as using it for a laser, but you set the facet reflectivities to zero. Here is an example that uses the data and settings from the Multi-quantum well (MQW) edge emitting laser example to create an SOA element: SOA_example.zip (1.8 MB)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much for the example! I had inferred that I needed to set the facet reflectivities to zero and had tried that before, but it hadn’t worked for me. That example is very helpful to see that I was on the right track!

Still, do you think that INTERCONNECT could adequately simulate the attached circuit? I can’t seem to figure out how to make a circuit of SOAs in series like the one in the picture.

Hello @laruege,

Unfortunately I don’t think the TWLM element could be used in a circuit like this. The electrical input for the TWLM is the bias current and the electrical output is the carrier density, so I don’t think you could combine them in a series circuit like this.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.