Simulation of optical fiber cleaved with an angle

I would like to try simulations on optical fibers cleaved with an angle.
Is it possible to create an optical fiber (cylinder) with one end at a specified angle?

It should be possible. You could probably make use of the Mesh Order to etch out a surface to mimic a cleave with an angle. Obviously, you will need to specify a rotation angle to the etching object that matches the cleaving angle. Keep us posted how this goes!

@kchow, it works fine when there is only one fiber and you want to see the outgoing beam propagation.
Unfortunately it was not so good solution when I tried to create fiber-fiber splice with an angle - by introducing additional overlapping structures.
I heard it could be possible to create it using Planar Solid structure, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Oh I see. In this case, the planar solid might be a better candidate. You will need to know the coordinates of the cleaved surface. We have a KX post that is related to using planar solid. You could probably make use of the script to construct a cylinder with an cleaved end. The idea is very similar, cylinder is surrounded by multiple faces. On each face, instead of constant z position like the truncated cone, the z position should be varying according to the angled cleaved surface you defined.

Following the discussion I had with @mdudek at the training course, I created a structure using the Planar Solid object. cyl_with_angle.fsp (234.4 KB)

I wish I had seen the post you mentioned, @kchow, it might have made it easier to create the cylinder!

Wedge Optical Fiber
Fiber polish angle
Intersection of structures to produce wedge

@gbaethge Can I ask why did not you use a cylinder with rotation around any axis? It seems the same result without the many addpoly; commands.

Hi @omnia.nawwar,

An easy way to create a cylinder with a angled facet, would be to use a cylinder and add and angled object to etch the end of the cylinder (as proposed by my colleague in the first reply).
This works, but it can get tricky when you have multiple objects overlapping or close to each other.

The first purpose of this structure was to model a cleaved fibre. So if you rotate the cylinder, you rotate the fibre itself. That is not necessarily what you want to achieve.

@gbaethge Thank you for your reply. Now it is clear.