Simulation of InGaN/GaN microLEDs

Hi guys, I m using the “FDTD software” to simulate the behaviour of the 6-facets InGaN nanopyramids as a solar cells in 3D (see the attached image). I’m extracting the photo-current and the photo-generation of our structure after applying a light source, and it is working quite well.

And my question is: Can we use your “Device Software” to simulate the behaviour of our 6-facets InGaN nanopyramids in 3D as an LED by using the “Charge solver” ?

I’m more specifically wondering if the software can deal with the spontaneous emission and the electrical confinement of this type of non-planar structures ?

Thank you in advance for your help,
Soufiane

Hello @soufiane.karrakchou,

It seems that you have familiarity with FDTD, but are curious about integrating your results with our CHARGE solver? We have an AppGallery example that on Solar Cells that would be very informative for you if are not already familiar. The geometry of your structure would not be problematic for CHARGE or HEAT, and could be used to solve for recombination rates and charge. It is better to build up to the full 3D simulation in order to ensure the setting are properly tuned, so I might suggest one pyramid in 2D to start and building from there.

I am not exactly sure what your LED would be? The same structure under forward bias? LED’s present a challenge for the charge solver since they typically employ hetero-structures resulting in lower dimensional density of state functions functions. CHARGE solves the drift-diffusion equations, which assumes a bulk density of states through the effective mass. As I said I don’t know the topology of your device so I cannot say for sure.

We have recently released a new solver that sounds like it may be appropriate. Please refer to this Multiple-quantum well (MQW) solver.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,
Taylor Robertson