Ring resonator delay unit in Interconnect solver

Hi folks,

I want to design a ring resonator delay system to provide different time delay depending on a control unit, I used ring resonator modulator as a filter to switch between the on and off states of the ring . In time delay simulation , an optical pulses in a return-to-zero (RZ) format is transmitted through the delay unit. The desired time delay has been obtained, but I had two problems in the output data stream:
I didn’t know why the amplitude of the output delayed data (from Osc 3) is larger than the amplitude of the input data pulses (from Osc 1)?
in addition to that the output delayed data has side peaks appearing along with the delayed pulses, why these side peaks appears and how can avoid the distortion due to the peaks ?
untitled1
attached my design file.

Thanks in advanced.

Hello @basma.eldosouky,

Thank you for the question.

I believe that this is due to the cavity dynamics of the ring. You can see similar results in the ring resonator simulations in this white paper, for example:

Your results are slightly different because you are using pulses instead of a continuous input for the rings.

Similar to the answer above, I believe that this is due to the cavity dynamics of the ring resonators. I don’t see any obvious errors in your simulation setup. However, I would recommend that you simplify your circuit by replacing your rings with ring modulator elements, instead of constructing them out of individual elements.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hi @kjohnson

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have seen your referenced white paper about the dynamic response of the ring modulator, but I didn’t find and successive links to reduce the distortion in the output signal due to this effect. I could not use the ring modulator element instead of constructing them as I want to build a system of cascaded ring resonator in CROW configuration. Kindly do you have any suggestion to enhance the output signal???

Hi @gwang

I build a ring modulator using primitive elements , and I didn’t find the options of “time variant digital filter” in any component ( waveguides, couplers, modulator). is this property has an effect of the dynamic response of the ring? I want to reduce the peaks and ripples in the blue modulated output pulses in Fig.6 in this white paper

thanks in advance.

Hello @basma.eldosouky,

If you want to reduce these ripples in your results you could place a low pass filter after the rings. Note that this would only affect the final results, not the actual optical signal output by the rings.