PC Optical Switch Example: error in running the power_vs_r.lsf script file

Hi,

I tried the PC Optical Switch example (https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?diffractive_optics_pc_pc_optical_switch.html) and I am encountering the following error whenever I run the power_vs_r.lsf script file.

power_vs_r;
Working on simulation 1 of 36
Working on simulation 2 of 36
Working on simulation 3 of 36
Working on simulation 4 of 36
Working on simulation 5 of 36
Working on simulation 6 of 36
Working on simulation 7 of 36
Working on simulation 8 of 36
Working on simulation 9 of 36
Working on simulation 10 of 36
Working on simulation 11 of 36
Working on simulation 12 of 36
Working on simulation 13 of 36
Working on simulation 14 of 36
Working on simulation 15 of 36
Working on simulation 16 of 36
Working on simulation 17 of 36
Working on simulation 18 of 36
Working on simulation 19 of 36
Working on simulation 20 of 36
Working on simulation 21 of 36
Working on simulation 22 of 36
Working on simulation 23 of 36
Working on simulation 24 of 36
Working on simulation 25 of 36
Working on simulation 26 of 36
Working on simulation 27 of 36
Working on simulation 28 of 36
Warning: /Users/cglim/Downloads/power_vs_r.lsf line 34: in run: there was no simulation data. The simulation failed to run.
Error: /Users/cglim/Downloads/power_vs_r.lsf line 37: in transmission, no d-card named T_bottom was found with the necessary data
Error: /Users/cglim/Downloads/power_vs_r.lsf line 37: unary minus only allowed for matrix values

May I know what is wrong and how to resolve this problem please?

Thank you.

Dear @chengguanlim

I just ran the simulation and everything works fine.

What version are you using? Maybe update it to the latest version from here:
https://www.lumerical.com/downloads/customer.html

Also maybe check to make sure that you are running the correct .fsp file (i.e. pc_switch.fsp).

Please keep me updated if you still have the problem.

Thanks

Hi,
I’ve been seeing the same in a parameter sweep I implemented with a for-loop (FDTD version 2017a).
At random stages in the for-loop I’ll get the same kind of error message as above:

Warning: […] in run: there was no simulation data. The simulation failed to run.
Error: […] no data ‘X’ found in monitor ‘M’

Setting the parameters to the same values as where the for-loop records this problem let’s the simulation run without any problem. The error message occurs also not all the time, but just sometimes (so it’s not reproducible)…
I would still like the loop to try over and finish.

Can I catch such an event with an exception or an if-case in the script?

Thanks for your help

Dear @hanna.becker

I doubt that this is a problem with for loop. I ran the simulation again and it finished successfully.
It is possible that some of your simulation files are diverging. In this case, monitors will not return any results and you might get that error message.

Can you please manually run the simulation file that you got the error for and check if it is diverging? please keep me update me with your thoughts and I will be happy to be of a help.

Thanks