Optical bistability photonic crystal cavity

Hi,

I’m trying to simulate optical bistability in a photonic crystal. The photonic crystal consists of a waveguide with a side couple nonlinear cavity. At this time, I simulated the structure for two different amplitudes (1.0e7 and 2.5e8) and, I got the expected behavior (a shift on the resonant wavelength, Fig1).
figure1
I’m following the optical bistability example, but when I analyze the results, I can’t see the bistability(Fig2). I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.
bistability_result

These are my simulation files.

phc_side_couple_cav.zip (385.3 KB)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Hi @lpedraza

I spent a couple of hours to understand the issue with no luck. I will keep you updated once I have more information.

Thanks for your patience.

Hi @bkhanaliloo

Thanks for your help. By the way, I’m using the same scripts of the bistability example.

The behavior of the optical bistability would be different for cavities with different resonance characteristics. Compared to the App. Gallery example, yours shows a very high Q-factor, hence much slower decay.

I am not exactly sure what the immediate solution to your problem might be. However, I think you can first start with an example that works. Then try to modify the Q-factor of the resonator by changing the gap between the waveguide and the resonator, for example. Once you get the feel of how the change in the Q-factor affects the bistability results, you might be able to get a clearer idea which of the parameters in the script needs to be updated.

As the Q-factor increases, the simulation would take longer to reach the auto-shutoff level. This means you need to increase the “nt” in the script as well.

Hi @skim,

Thanks for your answer.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.