Monitor Orientation

monitor

Hello all,

I had a question regarding the orientation of the monitors within the software. Is it possible to obtain a vertical orientation of the monitor, or are the monitors only able to be oriented horizontally? The basis of my question relates to the Poynting vector and how accurate the results obtained from a horizontally oriented monitor are. I understand the Poynting vector denotes the directional energy flux density (the rate of energy transfer per unit area) of an electromagnetic field. I am wondering if the accuracy of the various results generated from an electric dipole source (specifically power) are directly related to the orientation of the monitor. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• Kenney

Most monitors only allow the orientation along/perpendicular to an axis. You can switch the orientation between the available options but it will not allow you to set an arbitrary angle for rotation. That said, it is possible to “user-define” a monitor with an angle or even curved, this page has more information. However, this is not recommended unless absolutely necessary.

To “capture” the power radiated by a dipole, you can use a trans_box analysis group. This is a group of planar monitors that form a box to surround an object (ie a dipole source). It will measure the net power flow. When there is an dipole in the box, the box will return the amount of power of the dipole radiated. Alternative, you can use the sourcepower of dipolepower command when appropriate.