Modelling of thin film Capacitors using DEVICE

capacitor

I have been trying to model super capacitor using LUMERICAL DEVICE

software. But i am unable to do it. Is it possible to model a

capacitors using the LUMERICAL Software.??

Hi. It is possible to simulate a capacitor using DEVICE since it has a built-in Poisson solver. The only thing that you need to know is how you can perform a simulation without any semiconductor (since your capacitor will have only metal and insulator and DEVICE requires a semiconductor material for the simulation to run). You can solve this problem by simply defining your insulator as a large bandgap semiconductor. Take a look at this post to learn about the details How to perform a DEVICE simulation with insulator as the active material.

In this attached file (parallel_plate.ldev (1.8 MB)), I have created a simple parallel plate capacitor and have calculated the charge on one of the plates using an E-field monitor. If you use the following script to run the simulation and calculate the capacitance using dQ/dV and then compare with theoretical capacitance of the capacitor, you will see that the simulation result agrees with theoretical value.

[code]run(‘CHARGE’);

d=8e-6;
a=4e-6;
eps=6eps0;
V=1;
capac=(a
eps)/d;
Q=getresult(“CHARGE::monitor”,“net_charge.Q”);
charge=-pinch(Q.Q);
len=length(charge);

theoretical_C=capac;

simulation_C=charge(len)/V;[/code]

How to define the thickness of each layers using X Y and Z palnes ??
What exactly means X Y Z Span…?
What is mesh order …??
I am very new to lumerical so asking here very fundamental questions…?

Hi. If you are interested in learning about the basics of setting up a simulation in DEVICE CHARGE solver then I would recommend going through this example p-n junction diode. The example shows how to create the geometry of a simple pn diode and look at the results after running the simulation. It also has a video that will show you all the necessary steps. I believe this example will be enough to get you going but feel free to browse through other examples on our KB too (Applications). If you have more questions afterwards then simply reply to this post.