Missing components after installing the SiEPIC ebeam CML

Hi,
I am participating in the edx silicon photonics course and working on a ring resonator design.
After installation of the latest release of the SiEPIC EBeam CML (https://github.com/lukasc-ubc/SiEPIC_EBeam_PDK/blob/master/Lumerical_EBeam_CML/ebeam_v1.2_2017_03_18.cml) I am missing a couple of components, like the “ebeam_dc_halfring_straight_te1550”, “ebeam_bdc_te1550” or “ebeam_wg_integral_1550”. Does anybody have an idea why these components are not appearing?

Thank you very much in advance,
Marlene

Hi @marlene.nahrgang,

I installed the CML and the models appeared fine on my computer. If you cannot see the models in the installed Design Kits folder, it is very possible that the models are not extracted properly from the .cml file.There is one thing you can check, go to your installation folder (where you installed the CML to) and then check for the .ice files. The .ice files should have the same names as the models. If you cannot see the corresponding .ice files for the missing models, it reassures that the file is not extracted properly. I then suggest you to go back to the download page and re-download the .cml file.

Hope this could help.

Hi @gwang,
thank you for your reply!
Unfortunately - and that is probably the weird thing - the .ice files are all there in the corresponding folder. Also drag&drop into Interconnect does not work.

I had a previous version of this library installed in a different place and did not uninstall that when installing the latest version. Could this be an issue?

Maybe reinstalling Interconnect could help? In this case, would the edx course license be affected?

Thank you very much for your help!

Hi @marlene.nahrgang,

Thank you for the feedback. Install a CML with the same name shouldn’t be a problem since it overwrites the previous one. You can activate and deactivate the edx course license up to 3 times. It may worth it to try to un-install all the CMLs and then re-install the one you want to see what happens before you try to re-install INTERCONNECT.

By any chance you are working on MAC? The .ice file should be able to be drag and dropped to the schematic editor directly but we do get comments saying that this feature does not work on the latest MAC version. I will test this case and follow up with you later today. Can you maybe do us another favor, try to eight click on the .ice file and select open, see whether this works.

Hi,
the old versions of this library do not show up in the Interconnect user interface any more, but the corresponding folders are still there. Would deleting those folders be as good as uninstalling them?

No, I am not working on a MAC. Drag and drop works well for all components - except those that do not appear in the Interconnect user interface, ie. those for which I would need it!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Marlene

Hi @marlene.nahrgang,

In this case, I suggest to uninstall (right click on the corresponding file in Design Kits folder and select “uninstall”, or right click and select “delete” on the file in the Custom folder) the CML and then re-download and re-install it. If this does not work, you can try to re-install INTERCONNECT.

Please have a try and let me know if this does not help.

Hi again,
uninstalling and reinstalling the libraries does not help at all. I would not proceed to re-install INTERCONNECT. Do I need to deactivate the license (provided through the edx Silicon Photonics course) first?
Thanks!
Marlene

Hi @marlene.nahrgang,

Yes, you will have to deactivate it and reactivate it again. Please let me know if this still cannot solve the problem.

Hi @gwang,
I reinstalled Interconnect and now I can install the library correctly including all components! Another issue I encountered during this endeavor is that some windows versions have problems with long file paths (and the S parameter file names are not exactly short), which can lead to all kinds of weird behavior. I shortened the path lengths of intermediate folders. So, I am not sure what caused the problem, but now it seems to be gone and I can finalize my ring resonator project!

Thanks a lot for your help!
Marlene

Hi @marlene.nahrgang,

I am glad it worked out! Let me know if you have further problems :slight_smile: