Material Interface does not allow to add new materials

device
heat
material

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is some criteria when defining a new material, since when I define the material interface, for example, gold-organic layer-fluid DEVICE does not allow me to add the new material created to the set of interfaces with gold.

I also tried to define a solid water material as insulator and again I was not able to add this material to the set of interfaces with gold.

Is there a reason for this? Can I create organic materials (insulator or semiconductor)?

Thanks!

Dear @g.w.castellanosgonza

For heat solver you don’t need to define the solid-solid interface as software automatically does this. For a similar topic, please refer to this post:

You can define material interface between solid and fluid objects but I think since you defined water as solid, software will not allow you to define such an interface.

I hope this answered your question.

Thanks

Thanks for your response,

In this case then I only need to define the boundary conditions at the end of the simulation region right?

Yes, if there is not any fluid object or solver/solid interface:

The webinar linked below should be a very good place to learn more about heat solver and boundary settings.

https://www.lumerical.com/support/video/photothermal_heating.html

Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply

I watched the tutorial but I have some questions. So I have to define the boundaries as said before.

Let’s say my simulation region a 3D solid. Do I have to define them for every coordinate (-x,+x,-y … and so on)?

Additionally, if the solid extends beyond the simulation region, do I have to go always for a solid/solver boundary?

Regards,

Gabriel

By default boundary conditions are assumed to be insulating, unless you set them to something else. This means that you do not need to define a BC if they are insulated.

The solver boundary will be applied to the solid. So, for example, if solver is connected to a bath, all the objects touching the solver will be connected to bath. If you define a new solid/solver BC, it will override the solver BC which means that you can define different BCs for solids on the solver boundary.

You can take a look at this post as well:

I hope this answered your questions.

Photothermal heating: dipole diapolo antenna example

Yes! That helped me to understand better DEVICE. Thank you very much!

I am glad that it was helpful.

Thanks