How to install without an internet connection on a supported Linux system?
One way to install Lumerical’s design software and the Linux OS required libraries is to use the installation media used to install your Linux OS.
Here we tested on CentOS 6.5 and RHEL 6.5 systems (on VMs) that were not connected to the Internet and no updates were done on the system. Installations that has been updated through the regular online updates, might not work as described here.
- You will need Root or Admin access to install FlexNet license manager and the required libraries.
- We will configure our repository to get the libraries from the Installation Disk/Media that we used to install our OS.
- Put the installer disc into your optical drive or insert the Flash drive containing the installation files.
- With a graphical interface, the device should be mounted and shown on your desktop
- When using a Flash drive it will show as a mounted USB device.
- Or mount your ISO file unto your Linux VM (as shown here)
For those without the graphical interface, this mounted folder can be accessed using the terminal console with the following commands:
We need to add our own repository file;
media.repo using a text editor:
sudo vi /etc/yum.repos.d/media.repo
- with the following entries (for CentOS 6.5)
name=CentOS-$releasever - Media
- with the following entries (for RHEL 6.5)
name=RHEL-$releasever - Media
baseurl=file:///media/RHEL_6.5\ x86_64\ Disc\ 1/
Disable the other repositories on yum using;
yum --disablerepo=\* --enablerepo=media --disableplugin='*' info kernel
- Verify that the repository from the device media is enabled by:
$ yum repolist
You should get a similar output below:
media | 3.9 kB 00:00 ...
media/primary_db | 3.1 MB 00:00 ...
repo id repo name status
media Linux-6Server - Media 3,690
Install Lumerical’s photonic design software using the guide from our website:
Download the following libraries from a third party repository, using the link below on a computer with an Internet connection and copy them over to the Linux machine where we are going to install Lumerical’s photonic design software.
- Install the above rpm files using the following commands:
sudo rpm -ivh xmlsec1-1.2.20-4.el6.x86_64.rpm
sudo rpm -ivh xmlsec1-openssl-1.2.20-4.el6.x86_64.rpm
To obtain the specific
xmlsec1-opensslRPMs for your version of Linux other than RHEL 6 or CentOS 6, these can be found at:
If FlexNet license manager will be installed on the same machine we can use the instructions from our Knowledge Base (KB):