KX topic guidelines

Below are the guidelines we expect a user to follow when he/she creates a new topic. The main goal of writing a descriptive/clear post is to decrease the number of replies and reduce time the user is waiting to get answers.

General:

• Please perform a search before creating a new topic. This will help you find useful available content, save time waiting to get answers, and to avoid duplicating content.

• Always start with simple cases. Breaking a complicated case to a few simple cases can help bring focus to the root question.

• Please bear in mind that KX is a public platform and not everyone is an expert in your field. Explain your question comprehensively in a simple format, making the question understandable to both experts and non-experts.

• Post a question at a time while waiting for the response. If your follow up questions do not match the topic and are irrelevant, please post the question in a new topic. Topics with multiple unrelated questions are more difficult to search for, categorize, tag and answer.

• Be very specific about you question and avoid asking general questions. For example a question like โ€œa problem in my simulationโ€ or โ€œhow I can calculate the bandstructure of my device?โ€ are very general and does not address a question. Bandstructure calculations is a broad topic and there are plenty of resources available in KB and KX to learn from.

• Submit your question to the right category. If you do not, moderators will need to move your question to the right category, resulting in delays in getting an answer.

• Choose relevant tags for your post. This helps other members find your question, as some members have auto-alerts set up for specific tags that align with their area of expertise.

Title:

Ensure you use a descriptive subject for your question, i.e. avoid asking general questions, use key words, and make sure that the title addresses the issue. If the KX community doesnโ€™t understand the nature of the question you are asking, they will be less inclined to read your post. A more descriptive title also helps ensure your post ranks higher in searches making it more visible to potential answerers.

Body:

Include all the relevant information in the body of your question. This includes:

• Avoid using abbreviations/acronyms without a proper clarification. This holds for the material name, subject of study etc. A link to a reference might be very useful.

• Goal of your simulation: explain what you are trying to simulate. For example you can say: โ€œI want to study how resonant modes of a ring resonator varies with the radius of the ring?โ€

• Describe the geometry: This will help community to check the geometry. For example you can say: โ€œHere we have a ring resonator coupled to double bus waveguide with a gap distance of 100nm. I am focusing on TE modesโ€.

• Explain the question/problem: Clearly explain the problem and explicitly state the question. Qualitative sentences like โ€œresults are weirdโ€, โ€œdoes not make senseโ€, or โ€œdoes not match what I expectโ€ do not carry much useful information and need to be supported with more descriptive information. Support your claim by providing references and theoretical or experimental results.

• Provide references: If your post needs to make reference to a scientific publication or other copyrighted work, please reference that publication by including the publication url and not the publication itself. Posts that include the actual copyrighted publication may not be accepted for posting or may be removed.

• Examined troubleshooting steps: Explain what steps you took to solve the problem. This will help the potential answerer to narrow down issues, be more focused on the problem, and avoid repetitive steps.

• Include project files and screenshots of the results. We strongly recommend saving the simulation files in layout mode and avoid uploading files into a third party such as Dropbox or Google Drive as much as possible.

3 Likes