INTERCONNECT/Cadence Integration

interconnect

I would like to see the effect of an electrical signal (generated by a transistor level circuit on cadence) on an optical component and check the optical output signal. What is the easiest way to realize this from the analog design environment of cadence?

Sorry for the delayed reply. Take a look at this video to learn about Cadence-Interconnect integration:
PIC Week: Unified Design Methodologies
The demo for the Cadence Virtuoso integration (with Interconnect) starts at 31:10.

Thanks a lot @aalam.
I also found this video here:
https://www.lumerical.com/solutions/partners/cadence/

It has very good demonstrations. According to this video, we have two types of simulations:

1. Optical simulations:

Those are run by calling interconnect. Virtuoso is used as a schematic editor just the same way interconnect works. The video shows there are 2 types of optical simulations:
a) ONA (optical network analyses)
b) Transient (This one is more consistent with the electrical simulations)
#2. Electrical simulations:
Transient simulations are chosen. The Electro-optical modulator input is model by some passive circuit components.

• How do you think this was modeled? By the designer using DEVICE?
    #3.The O/P of electrical simulation is taken as the I/P of optical simulation
    I am not sure I got this right and how this is done.
    Do you just need to run one electrical simulation followed by optical simulation and that’s it??
    This part was not clear in the video.

Hi @aya_zaki,

Sorry for the late reply. I am not hundred percent sure that I understand your question correctly, here are the corresponding answers to your questions, let me know if I have any misunderstanding.

For question #1, your understanding is correct. For the optical simulation part, Cadence Virtuoso is the schematic editor (edits the schematic layout) and INTERCONNECT works as the engine (runs the simulation). ‘ONA’ is for frequency domain simulation and ‘Transient’ is for time domain simulation.

For question #2, The electrical simulation part is done in Cadence. You have to have both Cadence and INTERCONNECT licenses plus an interoperability license to enable this interoperability.

For question #3, if you have a co-design interoperability license, then you can run a sequential simulation, which means the electrical simulation is run in Cadence first to get the electrical signal and then the signal will be pushed into INTERCONNECT to do the optical simulation. The final result will then be feedback to Cadence and be plotted. If you have a co-simulation interoperability license, you can close the feedback loop. In this case, for each time step, Cadence can push electrical signal into INTERCONNECT and the simulation result from INTERCONNECT can then feedback to Cadence for the electrical simulation for the next time step.

I hope this is clear. Let me know if you have any further inquiries :slight_smile: