Installing multiple versions of Lumerical

Installing multiple versions of Lumerical on a supported Windows or Linux machine.

Note:
The default installation paths are when installing using the default process from our KB:

Windows

C:\Program Files\Lumerical\<version>
   i.e.
   C:\Program Files\Lumerical\2019b

Linux

/opt/lumerical/<version>
   i.e.
   /opt/lumerical/2019b

Windows

Install the first version using the default installation process from our Windows Installation Manual.

Install the succeeding versions

1. Download the installation package from our website.
  2. Extract the installation files,
  3. Run the Lumerical_Installer.exe file,
  4. Follow the installation wizard and when prompted, Uncheck Uninstall other versions of Lumerical products.
    uncheck - uninstall previous versions
  5. Ensure that you are installing on a different location/folder. i.e. ../2019b or ../2020a

Linux

Note

The installation script, install.sh cannot be used to install other versions. We recommend installing the 1st version using the script, install.sh as described on our Linux installation manual. This will install automatically any dependencies on your machine.

For the succeeding installations

1. Download the installation package from our website.

2. Extract the installation files,

tar -zxf Lumerical-{version}.tar.gz

3. Create the folder where you want to install the other version.
    e.g.

mkdir ~/lumerical-r5/
    mkdir ~/lumerical-r5/2019b

Note: Keeping the parent folder hierarchy of 2019b to not break the Python API path.

4. Change directory to the extracted folder and install using rpm, while indicating a different location (one that you created).

cd Lumerical-{version}/rpm_install_files
    rpm -i --force --prefix=/home/{user_name}/lumerical-r5/2019b Lumerical-{version}.rpm

5. Open Terminal and run the product or the Launcher for this version.

~/lumerical-r5/2019b/bin/launcher &
    ~/lumerical-r5/2019b/bin/fdtd-solutions &
    ~/lumerical-r5/2019b/bin/mode-solutions &
    ~/lumerical-r5/2019b/bin/device &
    ~/lumerical-r5/2019b/bin/interconnect &

Important!

Before running your simulation job, Make sure that the Resource advanced options is configured to use the engine corresponding to the running version.

1. Open the Resource advanced options
  2. Click on the resource line and “Edit”
    Check if the command to execute shows the correct path/location for the version you are using.