How to transform the existing 2D model(it can be denoted as the users accustomed models) into the resulting 3D model directly?

Thank you for contacting Lumerical support. Before proceeding, please note that this is a public forum and anything you post will be visible to the general public. For users residing in the United States, please ensure that the files and information contained within your posts are not International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) or export controlled.

To help us solve your issue as quickly as possible, please provide the following information:

1. What device are you trying to simulate? Include diagrams if available.

2D grating coupler and the resulting 3D grating coupler

2. What results are you trying to obtain? Be as specific as possible.

how transform the my existing 2D model into the resulting 3D model directly?

3. Description of the problem or issue.

Whether there is a good way to transform my existing 2D model into the resulting 3D model directly and efficiently for FDTD? Otherwise, how can I implement my 3D model, which is based on my existing 2D model?

4. Lumerical product and software version.

FDTD 2019b

5. Please attach your simulation files, including any logs.grating_coupler_2D.fsp (1.1 MB)
based on the existing grating_coupler_2D.fsp, whether there is a way for directly getting the resulting grating_coupler_3D.fsp ? If so, how to achieve it in FDTD? many thanks

users have to implement the 2D model and the resulting 3D model one by one?

Hello @sheepoonyoung,

I don’t think that there is a simple way to directly convert a 2D geometry into a 3D geometry. You would have to do this manually, possibly by modifying the grating structure group in the 2D file to make it a 3D structure, or taking the structure group properties from the 2D file and placing them in the grating structure group of the 3D file.

However, it would probably be easiest to create the 3D geometry initially, then use a 2D FDTD region placed over a cross-section of the 3D geometry for your 2D simulations. You can then just switch to a 3D FDTD region for your 3D simulations.