How to simulate graphene in visible domain

I want to simulate graphene like metal or dielectric by varing Chemical potential in visible light. However, I can not get the surface plamon in the structure, which is not accord with the calculation in theory.
Thank you!

Graphene has a plasmonic effect in the MIR. Try the following example as a kick starter:
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/other_application_surface_plasmon_waveguide_swit.html

Try the on state where the chemical potential is high. A chemical potential of 0.5eV is enough to produce a plasmonic effect in the THz region. May be you need a much higher potential for the visible light. Do you have any numbers from published work?

1 Like

Yes, µc =2.2 eV for visible and has already been achieved in previous experiments.
Efetov D K and Kim P 2010 Controlling electron–phonon interactions in graphene at ultrahigh carrier
densitiesPhys. Rev. Lett.105256805.

1 Like

Ok, sorry for the delayed reply. I tried to do this in MIR. In order to find the mode I had to increase the value of effective index around which the solver looks for modes. It should be increased up to 50 to 60. I will upload a file for the visible using the chemical potential in this paper later today. You can also upload your file.

Hi,
Kindly, find the attached file. The mode excited at the source is graphene plasmonic at 800 nm.
I changed the chemical potential of graphene to 2.2 eV. I tried to find the mode at lower wavelengths but I couldn’t given this value of chemical potential. The width of the waveguide is reduced to 0.5 um.
The mesh size was decreased due to higher confinement at smaller wavelength.

To get a plasmonic mode at lower wavelengths, you need to have higher chemical potential.

graphene_waveguide_switch.fsp (724.7 KB)

1 Like