How to perform a DEVICE simulation with insulator as the active material

I need to simulate a device that uses degenerately doped insulators as the active material. I noticed that DEVICE only allows semiconductor materials to be used as active material, i.e. the transport is only calculated inside semiconductors. How can I then simulate my device given that the active material is an insulator?

How to resolve error: “there are no active materials in the simulation region”
Possibility of merging two modules

Hi @qiaozhi. You are correct; DEVICE does require a semiconductor material to be present inside the simulation region and transport is calculated only inside semiconductors. However, if you want to simulate devices based on insulators only, one way to do that would be to create a custom semiconductor with a very large bandgap. If the bandgap and dielectric constant are chosen appropriately then the semiconductor will behave like an insulator, but since it was created as a semiconductor, DEVICE will allow the simulation.
You can learn more about crating a new ‘semicondutor’ material in DEVICE here: Creating a new semiconductor material
Note: For the solver to run properly, you have to enable one of the conduction band (Ec) valleys (e.g. Gamma) and make the mobility for electrons and holes non-zero (e.g. ~1). Also make sure to define a nonzero carrier lifetime (or disable the recombination rates altogether). I have attached a screenshot of how the properties may look like below:

Charge transport in metals
Electro-optic Polymers in DEVICE
InP/InGaAs utc PD transit time simulation error
Geometry building issue in 3D simulation for DEVICE
Lack of perfect symmetry in DEVICE
Device计算不出结果
Modelling of thin film Capacitors using DEVICE
How to apply constant doping to a material layer?
Implementing ZnO in Device material database
ZnO Semiconductor Material Data for DEVICE