How to create a randomly distributed nanocone with the rough metal surface

fdtd
needattention

Hello,
This is out sample.
figure%20upload
As shown in the picture, we need to simulate this structure.
The substrate is a randomly distributed Si nanocone.
We performed statistical calculations to obtain RMS and standard deviation.
As you can see, there are some nanoparticles on the surface and we also performed statistical calculations to obtain RMS and standard deviation.

For the randomly distributed Si nanocone, we use “Complex structures - Surface roughness” to perform the randomly distributed. However, we have no idea about how to get the roughness surface on the nanocone.

Do you have any suggestions?

Hi
I believe this post can solve your problem:

And if have any further queries you can directly message the person who posted the information given in the link.

Thank you.
I also found this page.
However, we also need to distribute Si nanocones according to the statistical results. The three randomly distributed samples provided by lumatic cannot be distributed according to statistical results.
This is the problem.

Hi @Zhan-Hong.Lin,

Generating structures with random parameters can be tricky. In this specific case, I’m not too sure how to include the information you have (RMS and standard deviation). We have a set of functions to generate random numbers, the closest I could find are randn
and randnmatrix that generate pseudo-random numbers with a certain mean and standard deviation.

You can use these functions to generate a set of positions for n cones. These cones can be created using the “cone” object from the library:

addobject("cone");

For each cone (defined by its height and full angle at the tip), you can add m nano-particles. Their positions can be defined in cylindrical coordinates, by their height from the bottom of the cone and
the theta angle (r is then imposed by the cone angle at the tip). Eventually, you can set another random parameter defining how embedded the particle is in the cone. The script could be something like:

theta = rand(0, 2*pi); 
z = rand(0, z_max); 
r = (z_max - z)/tan(alpha/2); # alpha is the full angle at the tip of the cone 
addsphere; 
set("radius", radius);
set("x", r*cos(theta)); 
set("y", r*sin(theta));
set("z", z); 

Note this script would put the particle center at the surface of a cone located at x=y=0.

As you will probably end with a lot of elements in the simulation, I would set the “detail” setting (in “Graphical rendering” tab) to 0 (in the above script, add set(“detail”, 0);).

In any case, the resulting structure will be quite complex, and it will probably need a fairly fine mesh to resolve the particles, etc.

I hope this will help!