How get a single optical pulse

Hi all,

I’m a grad student working on my project and new user to Interconnect. Are there any suggestions on tutorials or examples to help me get a feel for how to use interconnect?

I’d like to create a single optical pulse of maybe 1 or 2 usecs in the visible range. I assumed I could a pulse generator and modulate it with optical noise, but its not clear to me if I can do that. Should I use a scripted source?

TYIA,

Joe

Hi @jkoehl,

You can find some useful information in the introductory video :slight_smile:

Do you want to make the pulse as a source? You can use the scripted source but it is not necessary. Let me know what you want to do exactly and I may be able to come up with a draft sample file.

Hi gwang,

Yes, what I’d like to do is make the pulse as a optical source. I want to create a single, 1-2usec, modulated (with visible light?), pulse with an arbitrary amplitude of 1 w and split it four ways. Then I want each pulse displayed on an optical oscilloscope to see that each pulse is roughly 0.25 w in amplitude.

Is this doable?

Thanks,

Joe

Hi @jkoehl,

I made a simple example pulse_source_example.icp (294.7 KB), please let me know should this be what you want.

Hi gwang,

Thank you for putting together that example for me! It was very helpful in getting me started with Interconnect and my project!

For the next part of my project, I want to replace the y-splitter with a photonic lantern which I will design in MODE solutions. Does the MODE Waveguide Element work like I think it does? In that, I create the PL in MODE solutions and the MODE Waveguide Element ‘seemlessly’ integrates the PL into interconnect to act as I designed it?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi @jkoehl,

I am glad you find it helpful. The MODE Waveguide is a piece of waveguide, that said, it can only model single input single output waveguide models (like waveguide or waveguide bend). In your case, for SIMO components, you can design the lantern in FDTD then get its s-parameter imported to INTERCONNECT to represent it. S-parameter elements are suitable for multi-port multi-mode components. You can find more information on it through the following link:

https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?ref_primitive_elements_optical_n_port_s_parameter.html