effective refractive index and electric field for multilayer photonic strucutres....

Hi
If I want to get the effetive refractive undex and the electric field of a multilayer (10 layers of alternating metal dielectric stack)…how could i do it in lumerical?

Hi,

I am just guessing maybe the FDE solver in MODE Solutions might help. You can certainly build the alternating layers and try to find the mode support by the structure. You will also see the neff and the fields of the modes. I would suggest this example to see if this is something you are interested in. If you can provide more information, I might be able to make more comments.

https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?nanophotonic_applications_arrow_waveguide.html

But this code doesnot work in fdtd solver right? do i need to again buy for the mode solver?
thanks

If you just want to find the neff and the modal fields, the Integrated Mode Source in FDTD Solutions should also be able to return the information.

The FDE solver has more built-in analysis tools for waveguides properties, such as group delay, dispersion, etc.

HI
So this is my structure…silver dielectric multilayer.fsp (266.2 KB) I have used a metal dielectric multilayer strucutre…boundary condition PML along x and y and periodic along z…I would like to add source in it (plane wave?)…but surprisingly it couldnot be added…and then to calculate the effective n and k of his structure…
Thanks afor the help…

It will be the Integrated Mode Source to calculate the neff. I am not sure the propagation direction you want so I just randomly picked y. If you can tell me more about your application, or what publish results you are hoping to reproduce, I may be able to give more suggestions.

silver dielectric multilayer_modesource.fsp (832.6 KB)

Hi
the direction will be along z…by the way why we need so many sources?

If the propagation direction is along z, then the neff is only calculated on a single slab. The alternating layers will likely have no effects on the neff of the mode calculated. I am not sure if this is what you wanted. What kind of applications are you trying to simulate? your simulation setup does not sound like a usual case we would normally recommend.

For the sources, I only added one Mode Source to your simulation file and all other sources came with the file.

Hi…I would like to simulate a multilayer strucutre and see how the
effective refractive index change with the change in the
thickness…could we make some negetive index materials?
I
would like to simulate an experiment like for example as if I am doing
an ellipsometric experiment so that I will be able to incident from the
top layer and observe the effective refractive index…

also I would like to see how neff varies with wavelength but surprizinly only one point is shown if we run the code…

Any chance that you could be referring to the effective index as in bulk properties? If this is the case, I think the simulation will be similar to the metamaterials.
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?metamaterials_bulk_effective_properties.html
https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?metamaterials_bulk_metamaterials.html

I think I might have misunderstood your application in the first place, the Mode Source method is just to return the neff of a mode in the slab.

Yes this is the neff of a mode. If you are talking about the bulk properties of a metamaterial, the simulation technique will be different. The approach used in simulating metamaterials is able to return broadband results.