Device- Interleaved pn junction

Hi,

I simulated thedesign.ldev (6.4 MB)
interleaved p-n junction in device. Getting the error message as showed in the attachment

I attached the device file. Please help me out.

Hi @m.ramallo-martinez, the error message indicates that there are no contacts in the simulation region. This means that even though you have the two metal regions in the design, they are getting overwritten by something else. The oxide layer in your design overlaps with the metals and that is overwriting the metals and as a result the solver sees no metal in the simulation region.

When you have multiple material overlapping, there are two ways to make sure which material occupies the overlapped region:

1. Using mesh order: The mesh order is a property of each geometrical object defined in the “mesh” tab of the object properties. The default value for all material is 2. However you can change this value to set a “priority” hierarchy. A smaller mesh order means that object will occupy an overlapped area while a higher mesh order means it will get ignored in an overlapping situation. In your file you can make the mesh order of the Top_oxide object large (say 5) to solve the problem.

2. Using object’s position in the Objects tree: If two object has the same mesh order, their priority in the overlapped region is determined by their position in the objects tree. Any object that comes later in the tree overwrites the objects above it in case of overlapping. So another way to solve your problem will be to place the Top_oxide object at the top of the Objects tree so that it has the lowest priority.

Many Thanks for your reply! Will update you with my progress.

Once again thanks a lot. Have a niece weekend!

Hi Aalam,

Sorry to say it does not solve my problem. Again I am receiving the similar error message!

Hi @m.ramallo-martinez, The error message is actually different. The first 3 messages are warning messages not errors. you can learn about them (and how to avoid them) in this KX post: How to resolve warning message: “The mesh is valid but may not be adequately refined” . The 4th message is the error message and it now says that the memory required for your simulation is too large. This is probably understandable given that you have a very large 3D simulation here. You may want to restrict your simulation to a unit cell to make the simulation a bit smaller and see if that helps. for reference please take a look at this example: https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?pic_modulators_interleaved_junction_microring.html.
Another thing to try would be to make the mesh parameters a bit larger and try to run the simulation with a bit coarser mesh.