current not matching delta generation in pn diode

charge
device
generationrate

I’m trying to get a simple pn junction diode model working with point source ehp current generation. I place the ehp current source in the middle of the depletion region of my pn junction, and I set the generation rate to be 6.241e12 (equivalent to 1 uA). I apply a -2V reverse bias on the junction and run a steady state simulation.

When I analyze the results, I expect to see very close to 1uA of current flowing through both the p-type and n-type metal contacts. However, I get 10 nA – a factor of 100 smaller than expected.

I’ve attached the simulation script used to setup and run the simulation. I’m attempting to simulate a periodic structure, so I placed the charge simulation domain on a mirror symmetry line in the device.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
M
testing.lsf (3.5 KB)

Hi. You are right. The current you get from the “ehp current” setting in the delta source is off by a factor of 100. This issue has been reported to the developers and will be addressed in the next release. For now, you can simply include the factor of 100 in your input value [ i.e. set the ehp current value to 6.241e14 (100 times larger) to get a total current of 1 uA ].

Thanks for the information. Do you have any estimate as to when the next release will come out?

Also, can you comment on whether or not this impacts imported generation rates? I followed the instructions that you provided here:

And, I’m getting unexpected results.

Thanks,
M

This issue with the delta generation rates does not apply to the import generation object. If you are having an issue with the import generation object then please create a post with the problem defined and I will be happy to take a look at it.

I do not have a release date for this fix yet. I will update this post once I have know about the release date.