Charge transport in metals

device

Hi, so now I have two questions.
First, when I define a structure which doesn’t contain any semiconductor element, will it work out? If I’m interested, for example, in modeling charge transport in metal’s thin layers or see distribution of electric field in any metalic device of complicated shape can I use DEVICE for such purposes? Because now it shows the message: The program terminated due to an error: No active (semiconductor) materials were found in the simulation region.
Second, Job Error at stage ‘triangulating’ (Meshing Status). What should I do?

1. DEVICE is designed to model charge transport in semiconductors only. It cannot be used to model charge transport inside metals since it only uses metals as electrical contacts to provide boundary conditions to the active region (semiconductor). Since transport in semiconductors is the focus, the solver requires at least one active material inside the simulation region. In some cases you can run simulations with insulators only by creating a large bandgap semiconductor though (see here: How to perform a DEVICE simulation with insulator as the active material).

2. Job error during meshing means that the solver probably had an issue while creating the geometry. There are a few issues that discuss geometry building problems in DEVICE and how to troubleshoot them. Check out this post to get started: Geometry building issue in 3D simulation for DEVICE.

Thank you for help, aalam