BC for analyzing periodicity of plasmonic solar cell

solarcell
fdtd
plasmonics

I would like to measure the absorption within the cell for a plasmonic solar cell with periodcially placed Ag nanoparticles placed on top. I want to measure it for different configurations of rows and columns of particles, i.e. 1, 3, 7, 9 and so on particles along the x-axis, and the 1, 3, 7, 9 and so on rows. Here is the fsp: plasmonic_cell_periodicity.fsp (253.1 KB)

I have kept the boundary conditions at PML as I want the entire absorption within the cell. Are there any other methods or modifications (like other boundary conditions) that I can make to reduce simulation time?

Hi,

I am not sure I understood what you meant by

Did you mean a periodic rectangular arrays of 1X1, 3X3, 7X7, etc. spheres? In the simulation file you attached I only saw a line of spheres.

If you use PML boundaries you are simulating a finite size device with a certain number of periods. Depending on how many periods of the structure you include the simulation can take a long time. What I would suggest is to simulate one unit cell of the device with periodic boundary conditions. The absorption you get also represents the absorption of the whole device, assuming you can neglect effects due to the finite size of the device. These effects will be important if the number of periods in the structure is small; if the structure only has a few periods then you should probably run a simulation of the finite device with PML boundaries.