3D Pillar Silicon Solar Cell: No Results from Solar Generation Analysis for Larger Pillar Spacing and Masked Cross-Sectional Contour Plots.

fdtd

Hi,

When I tried the 3D pillar silicon solar cell example found on (https://kb.lumerical.com/en/index.html?solar_cells_silicon_pillars.html) using a larger pillar spacing and larger solar generation enclosure, the visualizer showed no results and plotting the two-dimensional contour plots of the absorbed power or optical generation profiles gave a complete turquoise plot. May I know how can I get around this problem in the FDTD solver please?

I have also tried using two-dimensional monitors that slice through embedded pillars in the x and y planes to obtain a z-x and z-y cross-sectional color contour plot for the electric field and power but the results are not as expected; the power and electric field contours of the pillars are masked by the power and electric field contours of the embedding material. I have tried non-embedded pillars and the results are as expected but not when the pillars are embedded in a material such as Si3N4 and SiO2. May I know the proper way to do this in the FDTD solver please?

Thank you very much for your attention and I look forward to your advice.

Best regards,
Cheng

Hi Cheng,

May I know if you have the same problem if you run the files we’ve provided on that page?

In any case, can you provide some screenshots for the issue and the file you have problem with so I can take a closer look at it.

Hi Kam,

Thanks for the message. The problem seems to be resolved after I changed the solar generation box to enclose the whole structure.

As for the problem with the two-dimensional monitors, I am still unable to get around it. May I know the proper way to define two-dimensional monitors that slice through embedded pillars in the x and y planes to obtain a z-x and z-y cross-sectional color contour plot for the electric field and power please? As mentioned before, the power and electric field contours of the pillars are masked by the power and electric field contours of the embedding material. I have tried non-embedded pillars and the results are as expected but not when the pillars are embedded in a material such as Si3N4 and SiO2. May I know the proper way to do this in the FDTD solver please?

Thank you very much for your attention and I look forward to your advice.

Best regards,
Cheng

Hi Cheng,

Apologies for not being able to fully understand your question. Instead of me try to guess what the exact problem is, can you provide the simulation file so I can look at the exact configuration you are referring to? Some screenshots to point out where you get stuck will be even better to help me pick up your questions quickly.